Saturday, April 02, 2005

Saturday Workout...

Cheryl started the Body for Life Challenge a day late, so today was her first upper body workout. I was a little worried about her, since her first lower body workout, combined with her two aerobic workouts on the stationary bike, left her too sore to walk. We did the workout together, so it took 87 minutes instead of 49. Cheryl weight trains like she does everything else, that is, with great intensity and an almost obsessive attention to detail. She works at getting every position perfect. I can see a lot of yoga in her weight training (she's been doing yoga for ten years).

Yesterday, we got our shipment from EAS of Myoplex and Myoplex Lite bars. Thankfully, unlike many of the protein bars, the Myoplex ones are pretty tasty. When I opened the box and saw how many were there, I was more than a little panicked. I wondered what one does with $50 worth of protein bars if they turn out to taste like garbage. I guess I could put chocolate icing on them....

Cheryl brought home a bunch of supplements from the health food store, so we've both taken our post-workout glutamine and we're going to do some creatine and a Myoplex shake in about half an hour. The whole supplement thing makes me a little nervous. I've always been an all natural athlete. In fact, I've never eaten like an athlete at all, and maybe that's the problem. But putting things into my body that aren't in my food concerns me a little. I'm trusting in the scientists and nutritionists to not steer me the wrong way. I've probably been deficient in a lot of my body's basic requirements for a long time. Like anything else I've ever tried, I'm going on gut feeling more than anything.

I just read that Pope John Paul II passed away. I haven't always agreed with everything he's said, but I've always admired him and I've always appreciated the discipline it takes to be consistent and unflinching in a world that changes it's morality at the drop of a hat. There aren't a lot of people that can exhibit leadership and compassion together, but this man was one of those rare few.

Well, it's time to mix up some Myoplex. Hopefully that will prove to be a good investment also (in other words, it won't taste like stale milk). I'm wondering what I'll feel like tomorrow. Today was one hard workout. But I'm enjoying the challenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home